Monday, July 8, 2013

Art Versus Technology

I was always confused what I was supposed to be rather a technician or an artist. My conclusion it really cannot be separated especially if we are talking about VFX. It is more likely art has a technical or scientific part. That can be analyzed described and taught. The other part...well for me that is more like transcendent. Because VFX stands for visual effect the first question is always, what? What it would be look like or what is the creative goal? That we can describe as an artistic part of the business. The second question is, how? How can we achieve that look or image? That is the technical part.
We can say art has a technical part but we not really say that technology has an artistic part. For example you can't say "art of programming". You might use that expression if you want to sell your book.
As a technician in VFX (so called TD) your role is to support artists. As an artist you have to understand the technical part of the business.

A long time ago I visited an exhibition of Gustav Klimt's drawings. For me it was a proof that great artist has a perfect technical skills.
Here is a drawing from 1879 at his age of 17.





I think he knew everything what can be known about drawing. And the other hand I think this picture is not described as a great artistic achievement.
Here is another picture form 1916.



If you have the skills and the knowledge you are free to create art.
About VFX I have to tell you the bad news. You have to follow the technologies no matter you are an artist or TD. Softwares and workflows rapidly changes. What you know today might be obsolete a year after. Of course in the other hand you might be able to work better and faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment