Thursday, May 29, 2014

Gamma Correction - Nuke - Open Color IO

Hot topic. I cloud write a lot about this but the information available on the net already. I started to examine this topic because I wanted to have a solid understanding Nuke's color management.

So I found two very useful articles about it.
The first one is especially about gamma correction:
Gamma Correction

For me the most important thing to understand is the following:

Human eyes see as linear - perceptually linear
Computers / cameras see as linear - value linear


The second one is a brief overview about Nuke's color management and there is an explonation how Nuke uses gamma correction:
Color Management In Nuke (By Steve Wright)

Okay, you went through and now you understand gamma correction. So here it is the next lesson:
Since VFX industry utilize different softwares with different color management there is a need to make a standard for VFX studios. Read more about this here:
Cinematic Color

Okay, you went through the first couple of pages and you really understood the topic is quite complex. Don't panic I felt the same.
But the solution is here as the PDF says: Open Color IO


No comments:

Post a Comment