Wednesday, July 3, 2013

VFX Films

You might read my introduction about VFX. Over the years I had the feeling Hollywood filmmakers went crazy. It might started with Jurassic Park or Godzilla but nowdays the best actor in leading role is VFX. Spectacular visuals were always a requirement for big Hollywood style movies but recently the trends are make it even larger then ever before.
So how big the main evil can be? There were Godzilla (1998) and Cloverfield (we can call it Godzilla II., 2008)  and Clash of the Titans with Kraakan  (2010),  Wrath of the Titans with Kronos (2012). I hope they won't give up here and Pacific Rim can prove it monsters could be even larger. And...oh yes, here they come, Godzilla again (2014). I saw lot of talent sold their soul but I was a bit amazed when I found Juliette Binoche on the Cast list.
I started to thinking about films I have seen and VFX was supporting the story instead of leading that. If we consider VFX could be done not only digitally I have to start my list with Tarkovsky Nostalghia (1983). I'm going to write about jargon of the industry, but right now here is a cutty list about film which have spectacular digital VFX in supporting role:
The Devil's Advocate (1997)
Dark City (1998)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)
Fight Club (1999)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
Tree of Life (2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment